Canterlot Avenue requires Javascript to run properly. Make sure to enable it in your browser settings.
Quinch
Shared pain is lessened.Shared joy is increased.Thus we refute entropy.
The words stood on a blackboard, occupying no place of importance. Other sayings, some profound, some flippant, others just going for a particularly bad pun, surrounded it, sometimes crowding it, others swam around at a leisurely distance, but there was something about it that said, quietly, that if Everything was erased - not merely everything, but Everything - those would have been the words that mattered.
Tucked behind a treeline along the highway leading from Manehattan towards Canterlot stood a bar, outwardly as ordinary as any. The stained-glass windows reflected the low late-afternoon sun, throwing colorful patterns at the small parking lot leading up to the building. A little bit later, a pudgy brown earth pony came up to the door at the pace of familiarity. Taking out a set of keys, he unlocked the door, brushing a hoof along the side of the door as he entered and locked it again behind him. Lights came up a few moments later, followed by the sounds of chairs being put down, glasses being cleaned and other, less identifiable ones.
Ten minutes or so later, the doors unlocked and the pony stepped out. He took a deep breath of the slowly cooling air, savored the day, with all its wonderful possibilities.
Crosswood's was open.
Last update on February 25, 9:42 pm by Quinch.
Celtic Cross
A green Earth pony with a satchel tossed across his back was making his way out of Canterlot, and was headed temporarily along the road that linked the glorious capital city to Manehattan, which was known for its healthy fair-trade commerce. He seemed chipper, despite the fact that the sun was going down - it would be logical to assume that he was used to staying up through the nighttime and sleeping during the day.
Somewhere between trying to get the right high-tenor singing pitch corrected and contemplating ways to complete his next assignment, his lazy clip-clop of a trot on the cobbled road ceased, and he found himself looking at what he thought should be a more well-traveled bar along the side of the road. A pair of ponies were just talking to one another at the front door, which he took to mean that the place had just opened up. Curious, and hoping to get in before an expected crowd, he stepped slightly off the road and made for the door, eager to see what sort of dark brews may be waiting within.
Last update on March 7, 9:41 am by Celtic Cross.
Quinch
{{looks like Gaulin hasn't been around for a while, so I guess I'll have to either retcon his post into not happening until he's back or try to work around it. The former seems less awkward, tho - so skip replies one and two, I guess?}}
By the time Celtic took his turn, Crosswood was back inside, surveying his domain. The tables were clean, the wooden supports shiny, the free lunch was on the counter for anyone starving - today it was a selection of pastries from a bakery down the road, the books on the wall shelves appropriately askew, the lone souvenir from the winter sportspony Speedy Blizzard was appropriately a ski, and he contentedly settled behind the counter, picking up a glass in a hoof and polishing it idly when the green pony came in.
"Hello there, friend," he said in a genial baritone, nodding as he put the glass down. "What brings you this way?"
Last update on March 10, 8:18 pm by Quinch.
Celtic Cross
The green stallion trotted inside and glanced from right to left, taking note of his surroundings. Content, he smiled slightly to himself, and gave a friendly wave of a hoof as his host greeted him. "Work, or course! I'm just setting out from Canterlot now, and thought to give the trip a proper Christening." He made his way to the bar counter and set his bag down on the floor, after ensuring that it was tied closed. He put a hoof to his chin and rubbed it thoughtfully as he looked at the selection of beers. "Do you have the Stone Mountain Dark Lager on tap right now, by chance?"
While asking, the stallion noted the free food to the side and began looking about for a food menu.
Quinch
Food menus, sadly, were absent. Unlike many bars, this one was more of a venue of spirits, multiple senses of the word.
"That we do," he said, smiling and reaching for a mug - one of the big ones, too. "What kind of business brings you this way, then? Hmmm... ", he added, starting to fill the mug. "Horseshoe salesman?" He peered over the counter at the lack of horseshoes and chuckled quietly. "Probably not. Athletics, maybe?"
Celtic Cross
Celtic Cross laughed and shook his head at the question of Horseshoe Salespony- he'd heard some wild guesses before, but for some reason that one had caught him off-guard. "None of the above... I'm off doing a bit of a research project of sorts." Seeing the bartender fill the mug, the green stallion took out his bag of bits. "Let's get business doe with, first... how much do I owe you?"
Quinch
"Well," Crosswood said, putting a coaster on the bar with one hoof - slightly worn, with a picture of a black obelisk in the middle, circled by the words "InterVention" with a smudged date, and "Oh my god, it's full of beer" - and placed the mug on it in a smooth, gentle motion.
"A beer is two bits. But it's also riddle night, so if you want, I can hold your tab for the evening in case you want to try your hoof at winning."
Celtic Cross
The green stallion pondered the offer for a moment, and then nodded in affirmation. “Holding the tab sounds nice, thanks. So what’s this riddle night, and how do I go about getting involved in it?” He grabbed up the glass of beer, looked at the foam head as it formed, and then sipped lightly at the top of the foam.
Quinch
"It's a tradition of sorts. One of the regulars brings a riddle - or riddles, there's not really any rules - and whoever solves them first gets their tab cleared for the night." He picked up a cloth and wiped his hooves. "There's also punday night and tall tales night which are pretty much along the same lines, and there's singalong night, which isn't really a contest."
Celtic Cross
The green Earth Pony chewed on the inside of his cheek a little, as had become a common habit when thinking about something. He passed the beer mug from hoof to hoof across the counter for a few seconds, and then perked up again. "Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm not the best at riddles, but I do like a challenge... is there any sort of buy-in, or is this more of a promotional thing for you to drum up business?" His blue-grey eyes shot a curious yet friendly look to the bartender, as the pony was still wiping his hooves in a seemingly nonchalant manner.
Quinch
"Nope, no buy-in or anything like that." Crosswood smiled and leaned on the counter a little. "Not much need for marketing, either. We don't get a lot of walk-ins, even being right off the main road, but a fair amount of folks who pass through tend to drop by afterwards." He smiled, an odd, slightly mysterious gesture. "Especially the ones who needed to be here."
Celtic Cross
Celtic Cross lifted the mug to his lips and took another sip from it, before putting it back down. He looked around for a moment, then turned back to the pony behind the counter. "So, then, is it going to be written somewhere, or is it passed by word of mouth?" The stallion seemed quite interested in riddles, for he was- a good challenge was always welcome.
Quinch
"Sometimes." The word sounded like it should have been accompanied by a shrug, but the brown pony just tilted his head a little. "They're not always the same, the kind, I mean. Sometimes it is just a simple one - but it's usually hard, since most people who come by tend to be pretty good at those by now. There's a blackboard over there -" he gestured toward a small blackboard by one of the walls, well-worn even from this distance and despite being a quite thoroughly inanimate object looking like it was casually leaning against the wall. " - if it's something more complicated."
Celtic Cross
"If there are any simple ones about, maybe that would be best to start with... after all, I'm just the new guy." The green stallion chuckled for a moment, then his blue eyes turned towards the blackboard, curious to see what was written. As he scanned the board, his eyes lit up at the prospect of solving a more complex riddle- despite his earlier indication.
Quinch
"I'll see what I can do, sweetie pie," came a smooth friendly voice behind Celtic, belonging to a pretty purple mare, brushing a soft wing across his mane even as she stepped past him. "Hi, Crossy," she smiled at the bartender. "Want me to get the window?"
Celtic Cross
Celtic Cross simultaneously tilted his head away from the touch and looked back in a somewhat annoyed fashion, though his hardened features relaxed after the mare had moved past. He shook his head and brought the beer to his lips, taking a long drink of the hardy stuff. He remained somewhat tense, having been touched by a stranger.