Canterlot Avenue requires Javascript to run properly. Make sure to enable it in your browser settings.
Astral Empyrean
I've sat by and observed and participated in discussions that have come to fruition over the past week or so. I've watched drama unfold, and irresponsible/non-professional behavior erupt from both members and staff. And I feel that in order to begin correcting these issues, the staff and members alike could use a brief learning experience on leadership principles and ideologies. But for now, I would like to use these tools to help the staff better handle future issues. Now before you roll your eyes and return to your prior activities. Stop and think about how stronger leadership could improve the quality of life for all users here on the site. Examples including better awareness, more integrity. These are a few traits that a leader can teach themselves over time. There is an age old argument that a leader cannot be taught, or learn how to become a leader, or a better leader at that. I dis-agree. Martin Luther King, Mahatma Gandhi, General Patton, and many others weren't just born leaders. They stood for something, they had vision and action for a better world or over coming a great odd. But, I can say that while leadership can be learned, I can't make you learn it. Leadership is something that you must develop on your own and of your own willpower. I will not promise you will become a great leader after this, but what I can give you is the foundation of leadership that I have been taught through almost six years of dedicated service to a Law Enforcement Explorers Post, and my community. I spent many years grooming myself to be a better leader. I had many teachers that instilled the lessons and tools of leadership within me. My teachers all being the best leaders I could ask for. Such as a former US Army Ranger, A former Marine Corps Master Gunnery Sergeant, and A former US Marines MARSOC operator. And without further adieu. The core values and tools of a leader.
Principles of Naval Leadership
Starting off this lesson with some of the strongest and most meaningful core values of leadership, are those that are taught to NCOs and Commissioned Officers in the armed services. The military has developed many core principles and traits that they instill in their leaders. These traits help break down the question: "What makes a good leader?" and "How do I become a better leader?" And although some principles and traits are more tailored to a military environment. All core values of a leader can be molded and applied to one's self, or one's actions.
Leadership Principles:
-Know yourself and seek self-improvement
-Be technically and tactically proficient
-Develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates
-Make sound and timely decisions
-Set the example
-Know your subordinates and look out for their welfare
-Keep your subordinates informed
-Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions
-Ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished
-Train your unit as a team
-Employ your command in accordance with its capabilities.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/navy/leadership_principles.pdf
Naturally not everyone of these categories are maintained in this sector, because the staff of Canterlot Avenue is not a war fighting force. But do consider your job a battle. After all, in a sense you are trying to fight uphold the rules and articles governing the site. Now I would like to hit on certain points of these traits and do my best to polish them off in my own words. So lets start with "Make sound and timely decisions." Here on the site, time isn't of the essence normally. But the ability to make a sound choice that is appropriate to the situation is critical to maintaining the order of the site. "Employ your command in accordance with its capabilities." Remember, the staff is a team! You must work together, train together, study together. Know your team! If you understand that a member of your team may not make an appropriate judgement call within the bounds of a situation, don't make them do it alone! If a staff member is unsure of themselves, or biased while dealing with a situation. Get help from more people. Using unfair judgement is the fastest way to lose your followers and subordinates. "Develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates." and "Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions." Its as simple as possible to understand this. If you seek responsibility, you must be responsible. Not just for yourself and your actions. But the actions of your subordinates. You're a team and a family. One person's lack of responsibility harms the image of everyone. Also, develop a responsibility for your team, because the choices of one can impact everyone else. Be responsible and be accountable.
Marine Corps Leadership Traits
Now taking a turn from Naval Principles. The United States Marine Corps has excellently described the traits that a good leader must instill within themselves to be effective, fair, and just in their actions.
Leadership Traits:
-Dependability
The certainty of proper duty performance.
-Bearing
Creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance, and personal conduct at all times.
-Courage
The mental quality that recognizes fear of danger and criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness
-Decisiveness
Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner
-Endurance
The mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship
-Enthusiasm
The display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty
-Initiative
Taking action the the absence of others
-Integrity
Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; including the qualities of truthfulness and honesty
-Judgement
The ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base decisions
-Justice
Giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. The ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently
-Knowledge
Understanding of a science or an art. The range of one's information, including professional knowledge and understanding of your subordinates
-Tact
The ability to deal with others without creating offense
-Unselfishness
Avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others
-Loyalty
The quality of faithfulness to country, the Corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/usmc/usmcleadership.pdf
While some of these traits are not ideal to day to day operation of the site, the rest of the traits listed and defined can easily assist in developing stronger, fairer, and more impartial judgement. With traits like Bearing, Courage, and Decisiveness. And continuing with traits like Integrity, Judgement, Justice, and Tact. But just because other traits don't fit your situation perfectly. Does not mean that they are not critical to becoming a better leader. They are all tools that you use and acquire to better yourself and the lives of those around you.
Being a manager does not make you a leader
The common misconception among people that are granted positions of power, is differentiating title from being. If you believe that you are a leader because of the power a title gives you. Then you are not ready. Simply pushing people with a title is kind of like pushing on a chain that has been balled up or stacked and placed on a table. Begin pushing on the ball of chain at a single point with your finger, this pushing motion is representative of demands and presence. The harder you push to move that ball of chain. The more it will deform and spread out. You never truly know or understand where all the links will go. The same can be said for people. If you push unjustly, or unfairly. You will lose your followers and your team. And they will at some point be forced to find a new path. But if you take this chain by it's end and pull it. All the links follow behind you. This is true leadership. Your title may give you authority. But it is just that, a tile. True leadership is from within one's self. Not by the weight of their title.
Lead without ego
While some of history's greatest leaders did not fit the ideology of leadership without ego. An example being General Patton. It is typically regarded that one's personal ego and self absorption can pose ethical problems within a leader's organisation. Remember, your perception of yourself must be as close as possible to the reality of your subordinates. If you believe yourself to be an almighty and all powerful person. But you subordinates don't agree. You will lose their faith and respect by trying to play this role you have imagined for yourself. The best way to keep in touch with the reality of your subordinates is to reflect. Everyday, stop for a few moments. Or maybe even stop before handling a situation, and reflect. Start by self reflecting. Understand who you are. The challenges you have already overcome. An the challenges that you may face ahead. Self regulate. As you reflect on yourself. Understand your flaws, your opinions, and your views. Now regulate them. Be fair and impartial. And next, self perception. Continue to view yourself. Enact you successes and failures in your head. Hypothesize what will happen as you tackle your next objective. Try to perceive how your subordinates and follower will react and how you will handle it at its worst. These skills of Self Reflection, Regulation, and Perception. Can help you lead more impartially, fairly, and justly. Prevent your ego and personal feelings from taking control of a situation. In the end you will have established a firm yet fair resolution, pertaining to the rules and articles you govern.
Thank you for taking the time to review and learn from these values. I don't expect poll responses. I don't expect conversation or comment. All I care to know, is if someone is listening. If someone can better themselves, and become a better person by the teachings of another. But this, is my gift to the staff.
Respectfully,
FA Dash
Last update on March 19, 12:22 pm by Astral Empyrean.
Isobel Martin
Great leaders are the asset for a successful company. The above-mentioned tips are the key of a successful leader. An effective leader of an online agency at https://www.customcv.co.uk/cover-letter, I always work hard on the following skills of leadership.
Last update on December 20, 3:18 am by Isobel Martin.