Canterlot Avenue requires Javascript to run properly. Make sure to enable it in your browser settings.
Quinch
On the outskirts of Equestria's shining capital, away from all the changeling invasions, alicorn coronations, galas and grand exhibitions stood a park. It wasn't "the" park - after all, Canterlot was a big place - but as parks go, it was a nice one. Spacious, well-lit in the slowly-darkening evening of an early Autumn, before all the leaves have been shaken down, it was oddly empty for how nice the weather was, the mild air reminiscent of the fleeting summer.
{source: http://xinature.com/park-dusk-path-york-autumn-new-high-resolution/ }
The Rules:
1: No shitposting.
2: Seriously, no shitposting.
3: Keep it friendly, or at least nonviolent.
4: All species are welcome, canon and otherwise, but be mindful of others regardless.
Last update on April 18, 12:16 am by Quinch.
Retina Somnium
- Ah, I see. JK and BR, huh? Anyway, what's the purpose of these tree descriptions? - the mane was getting interested about it.
Quinch
The unicorn's ears perked up.
"Ah! Well."
He was a little conflicted. On one hand, he had a schedule to keep. On the other hand, he did love talking about his job. "You are familiar with the Running of the Leaves that takes place around this time of year, yes?"
Retina Somnium
- Well, I was running just once - I'm not so sporty - but yes, I guess. Why?
Quinch
"Well, they work all fine and dandy in wide open spaces like forests and trails." He trotted over to another tree and started scribbling again. "Small, confined parks like this, not so much. But leaves still need to be shaken down."
Last update on April 24, 5:08 am by Quinch.
Retina Somnium
- I see, but, how the writing and examining helps the leaves fall? - she walked closer to a tree with almost full of leaves and looked up - Shouldn't we try to find some other methods to make them fall? Like, I don't know, asking a pegasus to make wind, or something - She turned to him waiting for an answer.
Quinch
He grinned. "Oh, somepony already found another method. Sure, hiring pegasi to blow the leaves away, or strong ponies to simply buck them down would be practical but... where's the *fun* in that?"
He cocked his head at her, a wry smile still on his face. "Now, what if you could get enough hoof stomping to bring the leaves down without all that running around?"
Retina Somnium
The mane was thinking. She didn't clearly understand. - Without running? Could it be possible? - "and if is, how?" she wondered such a things. "And how does he mean fun?"
Retina Somnium
And she followed him.
Quinch
"Of course! See, if you think about it, it's not the running itself that brings the leaves down - it's the stomping of hooves as the ponies race past. That's the whole point, after all."
He moved to yet another tree and made more notes. "So how can you get a crowd of ponies together, " he said, "and get them to stomp their hooves without really moving?" He winked at her.
Retina Somnium
- I see, that's true but... - she rushed after him - I think it's impossible to stomphing without moving, isn't it? You know something, don't you.. -
The unicorn have already absolutely forgotten why she came here.
Quinch
"Oh, well... I mean, not like frozen or... not moving not moving, you know," he stammered as his train of thought was derailed. "Just... not moving as in not running around. Just... stomping hooves and stuff."
*Wow, smooth recovery there, master storyteller,* he thought to himself.
Retina Somnium
"Ah, I see. But what do you mean by this just stomping thing? Maybe jumping?" she started talking to herself "Jumping would be funny I think. I'd like to bounce around the park... like Pinkie does." she giggled quietly.
Quinch
He rubbed his chin. "I suppose jumping could work, but it might be difficult to coordinate. However, what do most ponies do at the end of a, say, an enjoyable public performance? A play, concert, fashion show, any sort of production, really?"
Retina Somnium
- Well, yes, I think. However, there's not many space here for performances. - she looked around, counting the metres and searching a place without trees.
- Or - she turned to the stallion - ehat do you think, what should to do?
Quinch
"Well," he said, smiling coyly, "You're partly right. There's not a *lot* of space for performances, but there are plenty of little ones. A clearing by this tree," he gestured at an old oak, "a path passing by that one," he waved a hoof again. "And that is where *we* come in," he finally pointed at himself, a look of pride on his face.
Last update on June 19, 8:26 pm by Quinch.